“A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.” -Greek Proverb
On Mother’s Day this Sunday when we are all busy honoring and creating a special day for our Mothers, let us not forget to honor and give back to our beautiful “Mother Earth, Gaia, Beloved one.”
This Sunday I am planting a tree in her honor, as a gift for all the abundance I receive each day. With the statistics below sadly changing each year, I ask that you take the time to plant a tree and help change the future for our children’s, children.
It doesn’t cost much and certainly doesn’t take much time, but the ripple effect for our future, is immense. We can all make a difference.
- 13 million hectares of forest have been converted for other uses or destroyed by natural causes. While I’m writing this, almost 3 hectares have been cleared.
- Up to 28,000 species can go extinct in the next quarter century due to deforestation.
- By the year 2030, we might only have 10% of Rainforests left and it can all disappear in a hundred years.
- There are more than 121 natural remedies in the rain forest which can be used as medicines.
- According to Rainforest Action Network, the United States has less than 5% of the world’s population yet consumes more than 30% of the world’s paper.
Is caused by greenhouse gases such as carbon dioxide being released into our atmosphere in great amounts. Trees absorb and store carbon dioxide from the atmosphere while at the same time producing oxygen and releasing water vapor into the atmosphere. We’ve destroyed only half of our forests and we’re already feeling the effects of global warming. What if there isn’t a single tree left?
Loss of Habitat
70% of our world’s plant and animal species live in forests. Whenever we clear acres of them, they lose their habitat and die. Indigenous forest people who’ve lived there for the longest time are being deprived of their home.